Guild Guides are licensed DC guides accepted into the Guild by the Board of Directors. They are eligible to take continuing education programs, gain participation points for Guild service, and work towards advancement.
Guild-Certified Guides have been members of the Guild for at least one year and have fulfilled the prescribed Guild continuing education and attendance requirements. They are eligible to vote for and serve on the Board of Directors, and join the voluntary Certified Master Guide program.
Certified Master Guides (CMGs)
CMGs have at least five years of guiding experience and have pursued an in-depth course of academic and practical study before becoming eligible to take comprehensive written and oral examinations administered by the Guild.
The annual membership fee entitles all Guild members to be eligible for the following benefits:
- Participate in Education Events to increase your knowledge of local sites throughout Washington, DC and the surrounding areas;
- Participate in Training Programs to expand your skills and abilities as a Tour Guide.
- Attend Guild Business Meetings held 8 times per year at locations through Washington, DC. These professional meetings offer the opportunity to network and share information and experiences with colleagues, hear from speakers who are experts in their field (relating to DC and the tourism industry), and initiate professional relationships.
- The Annual Showcase (Job Fair/Trade Show) which offers opportunities to be interviewed by Guild Affiliate Members (Tour Operators) for tour guiding jobs and to learn more about Guild members in the Friends category.
- Access to the Guild's Membership Directory, a comprehensive listing of all Guild members. It includes addresses, phone and fax numbers, e-mail addresses, and brief professional bios of each member. In addition, there is a list of Guild-Certified Foreign Language Guides. All Affiliate (Tour Operators) and Friends (businesses Guides visit with their tour groups) members are listed with brief descriptions of their organizations.
- The Capital Guide, an informative newsletter with a calendar of events and articles relating to the profession, updates of new facts, as well as commentary and synopses of seminars, field trips, meetings, educational tours, and training workshops sponsored by the Guild.
- HireGuides4DC, a program of job postings on the GuildGuides Yahoo e-mail group.
- Guild-Side Chats, regular get-togethers for free-form discussions on chosen topics.
- Eligible to apply for an Arlington National Cemetery Access Control Pass for expedited security screening for Guild tour guides.
|Guides May Participate in the Following for Nominal Fees:
Continuing Education Programs:
- Seminars, Education Events, Training Programs, Trips, Tours for all members
- Certified Master Guide Program
- Professional Development Program
Insurance: The Guild offers liability insurance through a group policy for those who choose to participate.
Join the Guild TODAY!