Training Opportunities for the New Guide
Notice: The information on training opportunities is provided solely as a service. These are not Guild owned or endorsed or provided training opportunities. The Guild assumes no responsibility or liability with respect to such training opportunities.
A Tour de Force
A Tour de Force
P.O. Box 2782
Washington, D.C. 20013
Phone: (703) 525-2948
Certified Master Guide and Washington book author Jeanne Fogle offers tour guide training through two different programs – professional short classes at First Class, Inc., and private tutorial sessions for small groups.
First Class, Inc.- (202) 797-5102 - offers two short courses, every two months:
1. A two-hour seminar "Wanted: D.C. Tour Guides"-- Learn how to become licensed, who's hiring and who to contact. Find out how to cut through the red tape.
2. A two-hour seminar "DC Tour Guides: Prepare for the Licensing Exam" – Here you can build confidence through a 'Cliff Notes' session to help prepare for the city-administered licensing exam.
Guide Service of Washington Inc.
734 15th St. NW, Suite 701
Washington, DC 20005
Our eight week intensive training program, which begins in early January, is primarily intended for those who have no prior experience as a tour guide. You will obtain factual information by visiting over 50 sites either by metro, walking, or bus. Our trainers have extensive experience in the industry and have worked with groups of many sizes and diverse cultures and backgrounds. Our classes discuss presentation techniques, tour management, tour routing, and DC licensing requirements.
Our company has been in existence for over 40 years and is the oldest and largest tour company in the Washington, DC area. We are widely recognized by those in tourism as providing the most comprehensive training in the industry. We are the only company that provides both training and guaranteed assignments.
We begin our recruitment process in the fall of each year. Please contact our office in late September at 202-628-2842 to obtain more information about our program.
Description of Courses:
Tour Guide Licensing and Certification based in multiple cities.
Need help getting your New York City, Niagara Falls (Canada), or Washington, DC tour guide license? The process for getting your license for any of these cities can be confusing and appear very challenging. The instructions available on the official websites can often be far from clear and how do you know what you need to study?
Would you like to be certified by APT (Association of Philadelphia Tour Guides) to lead trips in Philadelphia? (The City of Philadelphia does not currently have a guide license requirement, but this could change in the future).
Currently Offered Courses:
- New York City Guide License Course: Class sessions and field trips. Test at conclusion of course. 99% pass rate. Offered 3-4 times per year at a cost of $395.00.
- Washington, DC Guide License Course: Class sessions and field trips. Test at conclusion of course. 99% pass rate. Offered 3-4 times per year at a cost of $395.00.
- Niagara Falls, Canada Guide License Course: Class sessions and field trips. Test at conclusion of course. 100% pass rate. Offered once per year in late February at a cost of $595.00 (includes lodging).
- Philadelphia Guide Certification Course: Class sessions and field trips. Offered 1-2 times per year. No License; Certification offered by the APT-Association of Philadelphia Tour Guides.
- Additional cities to be offered in the future.
Please visit website for specifics.
WashingTours & Events