Join the Guild - Tour Guide Member
Established in 1985, the Guild is a not-for-profit organization of approximately 450 licensed tour guides and tour-related entities. The Guild works to promote the common interests of our members in the District of Columbia and the greater metropolitan area.
DC-Licensed Tour Guides are invited to apply for membership as Associate Members of the Guild.
As a Member of the Guild, you are entitled to:
- Participate in continuing education and special tours
- Network with colleagues at business meetings
- Explore business opportunities at our Biennial Showcase/Job Fair
- Utilize our 24-hour update line and the "members only" portion of our web site
- Join our online discussion group, and
- Participate in our group liability insurance plan.
- Receive our newsletter and membership directory
- Have an opportunity to publicize your specialty tours and foreign language skills.
As a new member, you will be enrolled in the Guild's Professional Development Program (PDP) consisting of guiding skills and technique training, written test, and practical assessment. This program is explained in the attachment titled Professional Development Program. The PDP enrollment fee is included in your membership application cost.
To apply for membership:
- Complete the application for Membership Application and Directory Listing Form (Revised August, 2012)
- Sign and date the Professional Guides' Code of Ethics and Business Practice [MS Word, 68KB]
- A check for $100.00 payable to: Guild Prof.Tour Guides Wash. DC. If you submit your application after June 30th of the calendar year, please make the check payable for $140 to cover the remainder of the calendar year as well as the following year's dues.
- Three original and recent letters of professional recommendation addressed to the Guild, that are signed, dated and include contact's name and telephone number
- A copy of your current DC Guide License
If your last name begins with A - L, send your application to:
Mr. Steven Kline
3210 N. Leisure World Blvd #517
Silver Spring, MD 20906
If your last name begins with M - Z, send your application to:
Ms. Deirdre Steinfort-Rivas
3315 Willow Crescent Dr. #33
Fairfax, VA 22030
After the Guild's Board of Directors approves your application, usually within 4 weeks, we will send your acceptance letter and membership materials to you. If you wish the fastest turn-around time with the necessary thorough review of the material you mail to us, you must submit your application in full by the 20th of the prior month, for consideration at the meeting of the Board during the next month.