Annual Meeting Summary January 9, 2018
Wednesday, January 31, 2018
Posted by: Jackie Frend
THE GUILD OF PROFESSIONAL TOUR GUIDES OF WASHINGTON, DC
BOARD OF DIRECTORS 2016 - 2017
Summary of Annual Meeting – January 9, 2018 – Naval Heritage Center
Thank you for the huge turnout for our Annual Meeting, Awards Ceremony, and Education Seminar. Registrations topped 145! For those of you who were unable to attend, I have briefly summarized some of the meeting. We have issued a Press Release about the award winners and the President’s Message in the upcoming February Capital Guide Online will provide a summary of our 2016-2017 Board members’ accomplishments. The Board of Directors End-of-Term Report (2016-2017) will be available online around January 31, 2018.
The Guild – Current Status and Future Challenges
Our current status is listed at the end of this summary – 513 members; 49 foreign language guides; 61 new members joined in 2016-2017; 11 converted their membership to Sustaining status and of those, 6 were recognized with Emeritus status; record number of HG4DC requests – 1,074; over 70 education, training, certification events were offered in which 2,300+ registrations were recorded on our website.
While we all survived our most recent challenge – the DC Picture-on-License Challenge – we do have a few areas we need to watch in the future including:
1. YM (our website) -- The website will be upgraded over the next couple of months; we will have a new look, which will be easier to navigate and less cumbersome for the Board to work with. We have hired a Web Consultant to enhance our ability to make the most of the website.
2. Volunteers -- We are always looking for volunteers – there are about 25 Board members serving 500+ members. Please give back to the Guild when we ask for help. The Communications Committee is in need of another Co-Chair. Contact Russ Norfleet if you are able to volunteer for this Board position.
3. Yahoo – GuildGuides and DCGuides – we are seeing phishing, spam and emails containing viruses. Once we have the upgraded website operational, we will use the website to send emails. You are already using the website for emails – the Capital Guide Online you receive monthly is sent through our website server. Using the website for email will allow you to opt-out of email topics that you are not interested in receiving.
4. Site Liaisons and Annual Site Update List -- We eliminated the Site Liaison program. It was not being used as intended. At the Annual Meeting, we distributed Destination DC’s Visitor Guide which will replace our Annual Site Update List. Most sites are listed in the Visitor Guide along with address, hours of operation, etc. If you did not receive a copy, you can request one free of charge from Destination DC at: https://washington.org/visitors-guide
All members are now Site Liaisons – if you are guiding and see something we should all be aware of, send an email to GuildGuides.
5. Registration: Please register online for all the events you plan to attend - Business Meetings, Education, Training, CMG, Updates, Book Club, Guildside Chat, etc. We need to know we have enough space for everyone at the venue. There was an instance in 2017 where members were sitting on window sills and on the floor at a Business Meeting because a lot of members never registered to attend the event and we had no way of predicting that so many members planned to attend.
6. Hire Guides 4 DC is a success! But with that success comes the realization that many tour operators are taking advantage of us by not joining as Guild Affiliate members. Once the redesigned website is operational, we will have the capability of charging non-Affiliate tour operators for our services. We hope that will encourage more tour operators to join the Guild.
7. Guild Membership: Although we call ourselves a professional organization, and we offer a multitude of education, training, and certification programs and events, currently only 42% of our active tour guides have advanced to Guild Certified Guide and Certified Master Guide. Over the next two years, those of you who are certified should assist and encourage your fellow Guild Guides to advance to the next level. To our long-standing Guild Guides – you owe it to yourself to certify and you owe it to this organization for all the education and training we have provided to you. We want you to advance and we want you to succeed. Your success is our success.
8. Treasurer: We are still in need of another Officer – the Treasurer position currently has an Acting Treasurer along with an Assistant Treasurer filling that role. Our current Acting Treasurer, Bill Adams, has already served the maximum time in that elected position. If you have bookkeeping or accounting skills, please contact Bill Adams. The term is two years -- January 2018 – January 2020.
Membership: 513 (largest tour guide organization in the United States)
221 Guild Guides 18 Sustaining
69 Guild Certified Guides 17 Emeritus
45 Certified Master Guide Candidates 49 Affiliates
46 Certified Master Guides 48 Friends
Certified Foreign Language Guides: 49 Guides in 15 languages
Chinese German Russian
Czech Hebrew Sign Language
Danish Italian Spanish
Dutch Pilipino (Tagalog) Swedish
French Portuguese Turkish
New Members and Change in Membership Type: 64 joined; 6 Emeritus; 5 Sustaining
Hire Guides 4 DC Requests: 1,074 (20% increase over 2014-2015)
Total Events: Over 70 Programs involving 2,300+ Guild member registrations
Business Meetings Guildside Chats
Education WNC Training & Certification
Training Guild Certifications (GCG & CMG)
CMG Updates: ANC; USHMM; Mount Vernon; Ford’s
Book Club Job Fair
THE GUILD OF PROFESSIONAL TOUR GUIDES OF WASHINGTON, DC
BOARD OF DIRECTORS FOR THE 2016-2017 TERM
President: Jackie Frend email@example.com
1st Vice President: Sandra Moore firstname.lastname@example.org
2nd Vice President: Mary Beth Lane email@example.com
Treasurer: Bill Adams firstname.lastname@example.org
Secretary: Bette Runck email@example.com
Guild Guide Rep: Russ Norfleet firstname.lastname@example.org
Affiliate Rep. Maria Covell email@example.com
Admin & Ethics: John Days firstname.lastname@example.org
Communications Aaron Killian email@example.com
Training: Tracy Hale firstname.lastname@example.org
Heidi Watson email@example.com
Membership: Bill Harris firstname.lastname@example.org
Corky Rainey email@example.com
Education: Amy Mierley firstname.lastname@example.org
Gov. & Tourism: Ellen Malasky email@example.com
Maribeth Oakes firstname.lastname@example.org
Cert. Master Guide: Jim Carr email@example.com
Shannon Mikush firstname.lastname@example.org
Web Strategies: Karen Miller email@example.com
Past President: Joe Steinbock firstname.lastname@example.org
Administrator: Tammy Belden email@example.com
Off-Board: Zee Mostofi (Hospitality/Registration); Else Patterson (Foreign Language Testing); Ruth Roberts (Community Outreach); Shirley Timashev (Capital Guide Online); JP Nguyen (Friends Committee/Facebook); Alan Weinstein (Historian); Kaitlin Calogera (Twitter); Clara Sachs (Yahoo Moderator)
Ad Hoc Committees:
Nominating Committee: Steve Kline (Chair); Sandra Sheskin; Shannon Mikush; Rob Stanchik; Jamie Johnson; Kathy Draper
Advisory Committee on Awards: Brenda Turner (Chair); Linda Dickinson; Chris Bauer; Jamie Johnson; Eric McElroy; Carolyn Crouch;
P&P Update: John Days/Bill Adams (Co-Chairs); Bette Runck (Editor); Russ Norfleet; Corky Rainey; Tammy Belden; Rob Stanchik; Jamie Johnson