Guild Affiliate Members are Tour Companies who bring tour groups to Washington, DC and hire Guild Guides.
Apply as an Affiliate Member
Apply as an Affiliate Member!
Affiliate membership dues are on a sliding scale:
January $190; February $180; March $170; April $160; May $150; June $140; July $130; August $120; September $110. After October 1, 2019, dues will include the following year, through December 31, 2020, at $190.
The benefits of being an Affiliate member are numerous.
Click here to view our Guild Brochure for Affiliate Members.
Click here to view our Affiliate Member Directory.
Access to Top Quality Professional Guild Guides:
Guild Guides are Professionals
- Guild tour guides pass a written test administered by the Guild, provide three letters of recommendation attesting to their competence as a tour guide, and provide a copy of their DC tour guide license. All applications are reviewed and approved by the Guild Board of Directors before an applicant is accepted as a Guild member.
Guild Guides Participate in Guild Training and Continuing Education Programs:
- Upon becoming a Guild member, Guild Guides enter a Professional Development Program (PDP), which focuses on enhancing members’ skills and knowledge through training workshops and classes in communication, presentation, group management, and motor coach guiding. Guild Guides must participate in a required number of training and education programs, and then pass a written examination and practical evaluation to advance to Guild Certified Guide membership; and
- After becoming a Guild Certified Guide, members may continue their professional development by joining the Certified Master Guide Program (CMG), which hones their tour guiding skills through advanced education and training and requires Guild Certified Guides to contribute time and talent toward promoting and enhancing tourism in Washington, DC. Members must complete the program within five years after commencement, including passing a comprehensive written examination, and an oral presentation to selected Affiliate member representatives.
Guild Guides Subscribe to High Professional Standards:
- The Guild's Code of Ethics and Business Practices ensures that member guides follow the highest standards of the profession and abide by the policies of the company for whom they are working.
Updated Information for Tours:
- Access to the Guild's e-mail group which provides real-time updates from guides on tour who report on road closures, traffic accidents, unanticipated site closings, and other emergencies in and around the DC area that tour groups may be visiting.
Attendance at Guild Member Meetings:
- Affiliate members are welcome to attend all Guild Member Meetings held monthly (except during the busy tour season April-May-June). Affiliate members have the opportunity to network with the Guild's tour guides and the Guild's Friends (representatives from business establishments that tour groups frequent) and also to hear from speakers who are experts in their field (relating to the tourism industry).
The Guild Website:
- The Guild's professionally designed website provides important information to not only the Guild membership of tour guides, Affiliates, and Friends, but also potential clients to book tours in the Washington, DC area. For Guild members, the website also provides a listing of upcoming events open for registration, online newsletters, resources for guides, and much more.
News from the Guild:
- Our Capital Guide Online features news of upcoming education and training events, as well as Guild Member Meetings and locations.
- The Itinerary is our quarterly publication that provides articles of general interest for Guild members. It keeps members informed of personal trips taken by our tour guides, suggested places to visit with tour groups, book reviews, and recommendations for improving our approaches for gaining new business with tour groups and individual tourists.
Ease of Hiring Professional Guides through HireGuides4DC:
- By completing a form found at “Tour Operators Hire a Tour Guide" on the Guild's website, job opportunities are quickly posted on the Guild's e-mail service and rapidly responded to by our member tour guides.
The Guild facilitates hiring professional Guides through the Guild Membership Directory:
- The Annual Directory lists all Guild Guides, Affiliate Members, and Friends (vendors/suppliers). Guide listings include contact information, membership status, foreign language proficiency, and brief biography.
- Affiliate Members have access to the members-only section of the Guild website and the listing of Guild Members. Information provided by Guild tour guides may include personal websites and photos. An email can be sent to any Guild Member with a simple click.
Job Fair and Showcase:
- Our annual Job Fair allows Affiliate members to meet our member guides and conduct person-to-person interviews prior to hiring. Guild Friends participate in the Showcase as vendors/suppliers of services that tour groups use and frequent (i.e., hotels, restaurants, museums, and tourist sites). The Job Fair is one of the most popular events for all classes of Guild membership.
Advocacy for Tourism - Government and Tourism Industry Liaison Committee:
- As a recognized stakeholder whose voice is sought by the tourism industry, the Guild has a 'seat at the table' before government and tourism-related organizations.
Promotion of Tour Company Affiliate Members:
- Affiliate Members are listed in the public access section of Guild website: www.washingtondctourguides.com and are searchable by keywords chosen by the tour companies themselves. To bring traffic to the site and for search engine optimization there are pages of information about sightseeing in Washington, DC.
Questions? Contact 1st VP Corky Rainey at firstname.lastname@example.org